Even while MacOS devices are built to secure your data from viruses and malware, users nevertheless put their privacy at risk each time they visit the internet. And this is precisely the situation where a top VPN service might be useful.
Because a Mac VPN creates an encrypted layer over all of the data leaving your computer, it safeguards your anonymity. This will stop snoopers from getting access to your private data.
But there are other advantages than improved internet privacy. A Mac VPN is a security solution with a wide range of applications since it quickly makes you appear to be on the other side of the planet by spoofing your true IP address location. This enables you to access stuff that would otherwise be prohibited or to just follow your preferred TV shows or sports while travelling.
To only recommend the best Mac VPNs for security, speed, streaming and gaming , we continually test a tons of the options on the market. Additionally, each of the services listed below has a slick and user friendly layout that will undoubtedly appeal to the design that Apple fans are accustomed to seeing on their smartphones.
How to select a Mac VPN
It should go without saying that you should confirm that the software genuinely supports macOS before spending money on a new Mac VPN. But don’t worry, practically all services these days are compatible with Apple devices, including all of those listed here.
If increasing your privacy is your top priority, you should search for robust security tools and a transparent no-logging policy to safeguard your online anonymity.
Naturally, having good performance levels is also beneficial, especially if using your Mac VPN for streaming and torrenting is your top priority. And if watching material is your primary motivation for buying, be sure your supplier of choice has a solid track record of unblocking popular streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
Choose a company that also offers an excellent iPhone VPN software if you want to protect all of your Apple devices with a single subscription. Additionally, you might want to think about a provider that permits numerous simultaneous connections from a single subscription if you want to utilize your new software to secure your entire family.
Quick Step: The best Free VPN for Mac
VPN will let you access all of your favourite streaming TV shows, movies, documentaries, and other streaming content.
1. Pick a VPN provider. We advise using ExpressVPN.
2. Download & Register for a VPN and connect to the server in the country of your choice.
3. Login & Access your streaming platform service.
4. Watch the movies and TV shows you want to.
With a trustworthy VPN, unblock all streaming and sports channels, including free & live streaming.
The best Free VPN for Mac
The following is our ranking of The best Free VPN for Mac :
1. ExpressVPN: The best VPN on the market
Number of servers: 3,000+ | Speed: Up to 630Mbps | VPN locations: 160 in 94 countries | Maximum devices supported: 5 | 24/7 live chat: Yes | 30 day money back guarantee: Yes
- Rock-solid privacy features
- Apps for just about everything
- Superb for torrenting
- Class-leading 24/7 support
- Slightly more expensive, but well worth it
2. NordVPN: Streaming VPN that is hot on security
Available on: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux | Server locations: 80+ in 59 countries | Streaming services unblocked: Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, Amazon, Hulu | Maximum devices supported: 6
- Unparalleled security smarts
- Reliable unblocking
- High-speed NordLynx protocol
- Great value subscription options
- User experience could still be improved
3. SurfShark: Excellent, great value VPN
Streaming sites unblocked: Netflix, Amazon, Disney, BBC iPlayer | 24/7 support: Yes | Refund period: 30 days | Number of servers: 3,200 | Server locations: 100+ | Countries: 65 | Simultaneous connections: Unlimited
- Eye-catching prices
- Covers unlimited devices
- Excellent unblocking
- Apps can look a little complicated
- Below-par OpenVPN speeds
Advantages to Choose the Best Free VPN
- Great Online Plans: Free VPN plans are typically fairly constrained. Look for free VPN plans that have the following features: no adverts, a respectable range of server locations, support for streaming or torrenting, respectable data caps, or limitless data (Proton VPN’s free plan includes unlimited data).
- MacOS software: Most of the free macOS VPNs on my list are compatible with macOS 11, therefore the provider should have a specific software for the platform.
- Excellent Security: You should only check for free VPN plans that include 256-bit AES encryption, a no-log policy to prevent the VPN from logging your data, a kill switch to prevent data leaks if the VPN disconnects, or protection against IPv6, DNS, or WebRTC leaks if you want to ensure that your data is always protected.
- Speed: The better option is speed. Because of the encryption technique used by a VPN, your internet connection will always be slower. Because they only give users access to a few servers, free VPNs are slower than premium VPNs due to server overpopulation. For the majority of online activity, all of the free Mac VPNs on this list nevertheless maintain respectable speeds.
- utilize Simplicity: The provider’s macOS program ought to be simple to download and install; it should just take 1-2 minutes, and no cumbersome manual configurations should be required. The macOS software also needs to be user-friendly and intuitive.
- Reasonable Prices and Value: Free VPN services must to be supported by reasonably priced, money-back assured paid plans. The additional security measures (such an ad blocker), more server locations, limitless data, and other features available in the subscription editions should also be of significant value to you.
The Drawbacks & Risks of Using a Free VPN on Your Mac
- A lack of security: Although MacOS has excellent built-in security, using a free VPN puts you at danger. You could risk having your data exposed, which would be worse than not using a VPN at all. Without using a reliable VPN with strong security protocols and privacy features, it is hard to know where your data is travelling.
- The sale of your data: Some unpaid VPN services watch your online way (including your shopping patterns and the websites you visit) and then sell that information to outside parties. The only way to ensure that your activity isn’t being sold is to use premium VPNs with stringent no-logs policy and transparent privacy rules.
- Slow speeds: Since many free VPNs have a limited number of servers, they become busy and end up providing you with slow speeds. Fewer users are concurrently connected to any server using premium Mac VPNs due to their significantly larger server networks.
- Servers with recycled IP addresses: Are frequently used by free VPNs, and many websites block or blacklist these IP addresses. Free VPNs can ruin your online experience since they bombard you with captchas and other security prompts.
- Can’t obtain streaming websites: Free VPNs frequently block access to Netflix and other streaming services. With the help of high-end VPNs like ExpressVPN, which are designed specifically to access streaming websites, you can reliably stream your preferred TV series and movies at fast speeds and in safety.
FAQs for the best Free VPN for Mac
Is there a Mac VPN that is totally free?
Yes. However, all free VPNs have certain limitations, such as data constraints, slower speeds, or a small number of supported devices. For instance, Proton VPN has 3 server locations yet gives you unlimited data. Wind scribe provides additional server locations but has a 10 GB/month data use cap.
Use a high-end VPN like ExpressVPN if you want access to all of the best features a VPN has to offer. With its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test out the fastest speeds, highest level of security, and limitless data without any risk.
Can I use my other devices with a free Mac VPN?
Most of the time, no. Free VPNs for Mac often only allow one connection at a time, but paying for their premium versions unlocks the ability to use many connections at once.
There are a few exceptions, though. For instance, Windscribe gives free users an unlimited number of connections at once. However, the monthly data cap of 10 GB may not be sufficient for some users.
I advise using a low-cost premium VPN like ExpressVPN if you don’t want to cope with the restrictions of free VPNs.
Do you require a Mac VPN?
Do you require a Mac Macs are much safer than Windows machines, as we’ve already mentioned. And even though that is still the case, having the added security and privacy that VPNs provide above and above Mac antivirus is still beneficial.
You will, of course, require a VPN for your Mac in order to access the other features of virtual private networks, such as viewing international TV streaming service catalogues and unblocking blocked websites in your workplace or other nations (you’d be shocked at how helpful a VPN for China is).
Summary of The best Free VPN for Mac
Like Windows, Mac is another popular operating system widely popular among internet users of different age groups. However, you should secure your privacy while using your preferred Mac devices. Otherwise, you may become a victim of several security issues like hacking, privacy invasion, malware, etc.